I am an artist and image maker from Dublin, Ireland. I grew up painting and drawing around Ireland and England and now I paint and draw in my current home of Perth, Western Australia.
My work has evolved through various mediums but drawing remains at the heart of everything I do - from ink mark making on papier mache creatures to working digitally with hand made elements, drawing is a way of communicating my understanding of the world around me.
Narrative is another constant in my practice. My imagery and bodies of work aim to tell stories - my own stories, stories I have come to know through my travels and interactions I see in the world around me.
My work is represented in the State Collection of the Office of Public Works, Ireland, the collection of the National College of Art and Design, Ireland, as well as in private collections in Ireland, the UK and Australia.
- BA Honours, Painting - National College of Art and Design, Ireland 2006
- Art NCVA level 2, 9 Distinctions - Stillorgan Senior College, Ireland 2002
- Small Change, Free Range Gallery, Perth, Australia 2012
- Bowerbirds & Other Animals, Kidogo Arthouse, Perth, Australia 2009
- Maria's grand but don't startle the horses, One Gallery, Dublin, Ireland 2007
Selected group exhibitions
- Insectopia, Sculpture by the Sea, Cottesloe Beach, Perth, Australia 2014
- A Common Ground, Mundaring Art Centre, Perth, Australia 2013
- Beast for Thee, Melody Smith Gallery, Perth, Australia 2011
- Young Guns, Melody Smith Gallery, Perth, Australia 2011
- Porridge, Melody Smith Gallery, Perth, Australia 2010
- Tingle once, Tingle again, Lick, Window Gallery, Fremantle, Australia 2010
- Christmas Treat, Talbot Gallery, Dublin, Ireland 2006
- New Irish Painting, Context Gallery, Derry, Northern Ireland 2005
- Sofa, so Good, Filmbase, Dublin, Ireland 2005
Publications and press
- The West Australian, Artists open their world to the publicKaylee Martin, November 2014 Click here to read.
- The Post, Bugged by BugsSarah Mc Neill, February 2014 Click here to read.
- Resurgence & Ecologistartwork used to illustrate article Nature's ArtistsDavid Rothenburg, December 2013 Have a look here.
- Artsource Magazine, Small Change, Big Impactinterview by Judith Moorehouse, Dec-Mar 2013 Click here to read.
- Bear Among BeesSpeaking with Maria Hildrick by Claire Bushby, March 2012 Click here to read.
- dot dot dashInterview and paintings in Gambit issue, Summer 2011 Click here to read.
- dot dot dashPaintings featured in Jukebox issue, Autumn 2011 Click here to read.
- New Irish PaintingExhibition catalogue with essaysby Robert Armstrong and Marianne O'Kane, December 2005.